Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Day 19: More Cape Town

Started the day heading to the scuba shop.  Got all my equipment and we headed out to the dive spot.  It was super sunny and beautiful when we left the shop, 15 minutes later and on the other side of Table Mountain and it was cloudy and chilly.  They have the craziest weather here!

Got my full wetsuit on and then looked in my bag and there was another "shorty" wetsuit.  I said to the dive master, I have 2 wetsuits, she was like yep, you need them both... OMG that means it's gonna be freezing!  Put on the booties and gloves, weight belt and BC.  Then we had to do a hike to the beach.... What is it with this country and every activity requiring rock climbing.  I was so afraid I was gonna eat some rock... But I'm happy to report I did not :)

Now getting into the water was another challenge!  Between waves coming in, I had to get into the water enough to get my flippers on and yep, the water was cold.  But by this time I had worked up a sweat getting to the water so it wasn't too bad.

Next, we had to swim out a bit before going under.  And as always, I didn't sink.  Everyone was at the bottom and my forehead was still sticking out of the water.  The dive master came back up and had to pull me under.  Once I was at the bottom all was good!

We started the dive by swimming though a ton of kelp.  It was like and underwater forest... Really really cool!!! There were very large rocks, with so many sea urchin and sea stars all over and all different colors. It was really pretty! Lots of swim throughs... I really enjoyed the dive and really wasn't cold till the very end :)

Now another scary hike back to the car, over rocks and up a hill... Crazy!  The weather had changed again while I was under and now it was rainy and cold.  I decided not to do the second dive because I was already exhausted and that dive required more rock climbing!  I decided I had already pressed my luck and didn't fall, so I stopped while I was ahead :)

The dive master and I went for some lunch at a really nice hotel while the others completed their second dive.  I had an Ostrich burger... It was yummy!

Back to the hotel to get my stuff to move to my next place of residence for the next two nights. 

I met Claus and Andrea and their dog Scottie.  They were very welcoming, showed me all around and I got settled.  I then took a quick power nap... The first one in three weeks, it was much needed!!

Met the group for one last dinner then to bed because the next morning as always was an early one! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment